Japan, United Kingdom, United States: Visas for extremely certified professionals

France abroad has separated three countries: Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States in demand for qualified personnel, and presents the regulations implemented to attract and welcome them.


There has been a Highly Qualified Professional visa since 2012. It works on a points system (a minimum of 70 points must be achieved) and is geared towards talent from around the world. This visa can be issued in three categories:

  • Advanced academic research activities (teaching, research or research mentoring in a private or public body)
  • Specialized or advanced technical activities (natural sciences or humanities in a public or private body)
  • Advanced business management activities

This visa is issued for a period of one to five years for the applicant and his family. An extension order may be requested.

To obtain this precious sesame, your future employer must present a certificate of eligibility to the regional immigration office, which must approve it. Once you receive your visa, you have three months to move to Japan. All you need to do is apply for your residence permit.

> To learn more: https://www.jetro.go.jp/en/invest/setting_up/section2/page4/


Recently introduced (as of 30 May), the UK government introduced the High Potential Individual Visa (HPI). The goal: to urge students from the best schools in the world to work in Great Britain.

Each year, the government will publish a list of universities whose undergraduate students will be eligible for HPI. It will be addressed to all those who demonstrated “their potential through their academic results”as indicated by Kevin Foster, Minister of Safe and Legal Migration from our colleagues at business-cool.com.

This visa costs around 825 euros (715 pounds), and the duration can vary between 2 and 3 yearss depending on the degree level.

> For more information: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/high-potential-individual-visa-global-universities-list

United States

On the other side of the Atlantic, the United States has implemented the H1B visa. Much requested, the government had to limit the issuance of this visa.

To be eligible for this visa, several criteria must be met:

  • hold one US bachelor related to the position to be held, and obtained from an accredited university, whether a foreign degree related to the position to be held, equivalent to or greater than a bachelor’s degree in the US, or a license attesting to your ability to perform the position to be held.
  • Have complete education or have relevant professional experience related to the position to be held.
  • Being hired and sponsored by an American company.

It is issued for a period of three years and can be renewed up to a maximum of six years. When submitting the H1B visa application, the applicant will have to pay USD 181 (usual application fee) and USD 500 specific for this visa.

The beneficiary of this visa will have favorable conditions such as the possibility to bring the family, to change employer, to obtain the Green Card, as well as the 10-day grace period in the event of dismissal.

> For more information: https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/h-1b-specialty-occupations

Leave a Comment