Finding out overseas: is the visa utility a should?

As with your passport, obtaining a study visa may be mandatory for your mobility. It all depends on the country you want to go to. Whatever happens, don’t wait until the last moment to act.

This is a document that will be very useful for you if you decide to take part in your course abroad. Unlike the passport which mainly certifies your nationality, the visa must justify their presence, more or less long, in a territory foreign to their own. That’s why it’s sometimes mandatory.

No visa required to travel to Europe

A distinction must be made between mobility within and outside Europe. In fact, if you are a French national and you are going to one of the 26 countries in the Schengen area, you do not need to take any steps. Regardless of the length of your stay, no visa is required., as well as your passport. A valid ID card is sufficient.

Read too

A mandatory visa outside Europe

On the other hand, things are different if you go outside of Europe. In some countries like Australia, Japan, most Latin American countries (Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Chile, etc.), South Africa or Morocco, the visa is mandatory only for stays longer than 90 days, that is, longer than three months.

In other countries, such as Russia, China or the United States, is mandatory irrespective of the duration of your mobility. Canada goes even a step further: in addition to its Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), you will need to apply for a study permit. With the health crisis, this study permit has become mandatory, regardless of the length of your stay. Previously, this permit was only required for students who wished to reside in Canada for more than six months.

Go directly to the websites of the embassies of the country in question to know the steps to follow. Your establishment’s international relations department will also be able to assist you if necessary.

Read too

apply for a visa

For any visa application, you must contact the consulate of the country in question. You will then have to fill in a file (often accessible online) adding some supporting documents (passport photos, reason for travel, copy of your passport, etc.). You will also have to pay administrative costs. Depending on the country, a visa can cost up to several hundred euros.

Some destinations also require a certificate of registration at their future establishment. Your order can therefore be placed three to six months before your departure. Once your file is complete, you will have to make an appointment at the consulate. You will receive your visa after a few weeks.

Leave a Comment