Brexit: What (or not) adjustments for college students from January 1, 2021

Brexit forces, from 1 January 2021, to change the procedures for entering, living and working in the UK. As a student, your mobility can also be affected. recap’.

Four years after the referendum, Brexit is as fresh as ever. Officially released from the European Union on February 1, 2020the UK ended its transition period on 31 December. It was not until Christmas that an agreement was finally reached, in extremis, between the country and the European Parliament. New modalities that concern foreign residents and workers, but also students who wish to continue their studies. Tuition fees, visa, passport, diploma, internship and work-study… The Student takes stock.

Read too

Exit from the Erasmus+ program and payment of tuition fees

This is one of the first repercussions of Brexit for French students: paying tuition fees to study in the UK. On December 24, 2020, to everyone’s surprise and despite the agreement of both parties, the British Prime Minister finally announced the end of the country’s participation in the Erasmus+ programme. By breaking the agreement, the UK is no longer considered a member country of the scheme and therefore can no longer offer free tuition fees to European students.

However, some exceptions:
French Erasmus+ exchange students for the year 2020–2021 are not affected by these tuition fees which will only apply from the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year;
– that exists agreements between Franco-British establishments who do not attend the Erasmus+ program and who can therefore avoid paying these fees. Consult your international relations department.

Also to know: by withdrawing from the programme, the UK also prevents you from receiving Erasmus+ grants. Again, check with your establishment, region, department and/or city to find out more about mobility aids.

Read too

The visa: mandatory in certain cases

As for administrative formalities, it all depends on the length of your stay in the UK. If you were already in the country and plan to stay there beyond December 31, 2020, the government advises you to register “for ‘pre-established’ status of the ‘Settlement Scheme for EU Citizens'”. This statute is “established by the British authorities to avoid visa administrative procedures and the associated costs”. The procedure is carried out directly on the Internet.

From 2021, the UK authorities may establish other arrangements for applying for your visa. Consult the embassy or the France Diplomatie website. In all cases, if you are leaving for less than six months, no visa is required but authorizations may be required, in particular to verify your student status. And if you leave between six and eleven months, you can use the “short-term students”. On the other hand, without a visa, you will not be allowed to engage in paid activity.

Read too

The passport: mandatory from 1 October 2021

Until now, your ID card was enough to travel to the UK. Good news, that will still be the case until October 1, 2021. From this date, passports will become the rule. A word of advice: plan ahead and apply for your passport now.

The European Health Insurance Card is still valid

Can be used in all European Union countries, the European Health Insurance Card (ESCD) remains valid in the UK. The CESD should initially only be valid for students whose course lasted between 2020 and 2021. For newcomers from 2022 onwards, the European Health Insurance Card therefore remains a document to be kept and presented in case of treatment. occupied.

British diploma: still recognized in France

Like the CESD, the recognition of diplomas also remains relevant despite Brexit. In fact, earning ECTS (European Points System) credits remains possible on January 1, 2021.. Your British degree will therefore have real value in France.

Read too

Internship and work-study: modalities to be specified

Everything is not completely clear to students who want to work on the other side of the Channel. For an internship or work-study, it’s always up to you to find the company ready to receive you. The conditions (insurance, remuneration or allowances, etc.) depend on the host country, as was the case before. On the other hand, you will have to get a visa that will allow you to work. The “student” visa would not be enough. Again, check with your international relations department.

Leave a Comment