Accused of rape, the director of Staps banned from getting into the premises of the College of Rennes 2

The case is taken very seriously by the management of the University of Rennes 2. But the complexity and gravity of the facts that the former director of Staps is accused of force him to be very careful. Could the university reinstate its professor when he is indicted in the context of three cases of rape of university members? The French justice considered that yes. During the hearing of the instruction chamber that took place on June 1, the former director of UFR won his case, as reported the telegramFriday, June 17th. This Monday, the direction of the University of Rennes announced that the professor targeted by the complaints was the subject of “a temporary ban on access to the campus”. According to information collected by 20 minutes, a decree was issued to this effect last week. A relief for the victims but also for the entire Department of Science and Techniques of Physical and Sports Activities.

The announcement of the court decision caused a great uproar in the ranks of UFR officials, many of whom were outraged by his management. “There was a kind of astonishment, of incomprehension because nobody expected this”, testifies a teacher to 20 minutes. Suspended since his indictment in 2017, the former Staps director has yet to stand trial and continues to claim his innocence. Since his interrogation, he has always sought to return to the university, which until now has always been refused. “He wanted to go back as if nothing had happened. But the three plaintiffs are still within our walls and the university has an obligation to protect its employees. It is not up to the claimants to adapt. Imagine if he came across one of them”, continues the professor. “This gives me the impression of a justice that protects itself more than it protects the alleged victims. This is not without arousing misunderstandings and concerns for them,” said another professor in the department.

A student complaint filed in 2017

The case began in 2017, when a 24-year-old doctoral student filed a complaint for harassment, sexual assault and rape against her thesis advisor. Presumably innocent, the 52-year-old teacher always claimed the relationship was consensual. Two other complaints, made by two UFR professors, were added to the first one. The university recalls having seized its disciplinary section, disoriented in another establishment, but that it will await “the result of the criminal investigation before deciding”.

This ban on access to the campus is branded as a protective measure that the employer owes its workers, “in order to preserve the safety and health of its agents”, “with respect for the presumption of innocence”, specifies the management of the university. The CHSCT met in extraordinary session and alerted the Chair. If the professor in question had been granted the right to return to the university, he was still prohibited from contacting whistleblowers. “For them, it’s traumatic. They lived badly”, says this teacher.

Leave a Comment