Immigration to the UK: Brexit complicates the state of affairs

Please show your white paw! In addition to the introduction of a points-based immigration system, it is now necessary to present a visa to carry out any professional activity in the UK. Different types of visas are issued depending on the intended job: seasonal visa, worker visa, qualified visa or short-stay visa for particular summer jobs… To complete your visa application, a pledge of employment (sponsorship certificate ) of a UK employer is now required. Therefore, it is imperative to look for and find a job before leaving for the UK.

Your annual salary must also be higher than the equivalent of €28,500, a lower limit if you hold a PhD or if there is a shortage of manpower in your profession. Under the new points system, the visa will depend on your qualifications, your knowledge of English and previous sponsorship of a British company or organization. Exceptions are also provided for the obligation to submit a job offer for scientific professions, researchers and higher education teachers. In addition, the right of residence is issued on an accelerated basis for medical professionals. Also, this visa application has a cost, it is not free! A professional (or business) visa valid for ten years can cost more than one thousand euros. All European travelers must also have a valid passport to cross the English Channel.

The city requires a business visa

Europeans residing in the United Kingdom before 1 January 2021 will be able to continue using an identity card until 2025 to enter the country and will be able to reside, work, study, receive social benefits there, under the same conditions. they have “pre-established” or “established” resident status. Holders of a frontier worker permit can also present a simple identity card. But things could change: The city’s financial firms are in fact asking Boris Johnson’s government to quickly create a new, limited-time business visa. It would aim to facilitate transfers between companies without incurring additional costs.

City banks also want to see mobility agreements between the UK and Commonwealth countries such as Australia, Canada and New Zealand extended across the European Union. They allow young professionals aged 18 to 30 to come and live and work in Britain for two years. As for the recognition of diplomas, nothing changes. With Brexit, the UK is also excluded from the Erasmus+ programme. European Union students now have to pay tuition fees like all other international students. A good level of English is usually required.

Leave a Comment